This morning I had a delicious smoothie, that I thought I have to share.
I know many people cringe at the thought of putting veggies into a smoothie… It is the only way to reap the full benefit of a raw meal! Veggies (as well as fibre) stabilise the blood sugar levels, as opposed to just a fruit based smoothie. This recipe makes one litre. I usually have 500ml for breakfast and reserve the other half for the next day or an after gym meal.
Serving size: 1 litre ( or 2x 500ml cups)
- 1 stick of celery (insoluble green fibre )
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (anti-inflammatory)
- 1/4 cucumber (fibre and potassium)
- 1/2 cup grapes (anti- oxidant and adds natural sweetness)
- 1 golden delicious apple (fibre and adds natural sweetness)
- 3 tablespoons of plain full cream organic yoghurt (good fat and protein, probiotic boost and also adds creamy texture)
- 3 tablespoons pomegranite seeds (high in vitamin B & C, fibre and sweetness)
- 1 cup spinach leaves (high vitamin A and lots of green insoluble fibre)
- Water for consistency
- Rinse and roughly chop up the fruit and vegetables
- De-seed the apple and grapes
- Chuck everything into a liquidiser/ smoothie maker and switch on
- Add water gradually for desired consistency. I prefer a liquid like consistency that I can drink easily
- Make sure that the ingredients are well blended. Nobody likes chunky bits at the end!
- Pour into a glass and drink up!